7TH CHAKRA SPRINGTIME ROYAL INVERSIONS HEADSTAND AND SHOULDERSTAND
April 6, 2011. Springtime is the perfect time to strengthen our 7th Crown Chakra because it is related to our personal development moving forward in the direction of our greater purpose. When we focus our efforts on this chakra we engage a dialogue related to believing in our place in the world. This requires Faith. Caroline Myss, in Invisible Acts of Power, writes "Faith is the power of the 7th chakra. It’s the circuit to the divine and a porthole to our intuitive resources. Miracles abound. The acts of service of the 7th chakra include the faith you convey to others through your own beliefs, actions and prayers."
Faith is a hopeful positive expectation for life. “The present moment is always full of inifinite treasure. It contains far more than you can possibly grasp. Faith is the measure of its riches: what you find in the present moment is according to the measure of your faith. Love also is the measure: the more the heart loves, the more it rejoices in what God provides. The will of spirit presents itself at each moment like an immense ocean that the desire of your heart cannot empty; yet you will drink from that ocean according to your faith and love.” --Jean Pierre de Caussade (1675-1751) France.
Practicing inversions literally turns our world upside down. No matter how many times we've been upside down it is an act of faith to keep listening to the Royalty of yoga poses like the King of poses: headstand and the Queen of poses: Shoulderstand Rumi writes "Since in order to speak, one must first listen, learn to speak by listening."
While we practice asana we take apart these more complicated royal family of poses so we can take a step at a time (and gaining a new perspective as we change our vantage point). As Sharon Salzburg says, “No matter what is happening, whenever we see the inevitability of change the facts of our lives can become alive with prospect. We see that a self-image we’ve been holding doesn’t need to define us forever, the next step is not the last step, what life was is not what it is now, and certainly not what it might yet be.” So make time this Spring to work on yourself, go upside down! Love yourself, love your day, love your life, Silvia
Sahasrara is the Sanskrit word for "thousandfold." The crown chakra is the seventh main energy centre in the human body.
Fundamentals of the Crown Chakra
- Name: Crown chakra
- Element: White light, thought
- Sanskrit name: Sahasrara
- Colour: Violet/white
- Position in the body: Top of the head
- Associated endocrine gland: Pituitary gland
- Physiological form and functions: Muscular system, skeletal system, skin and central nervous system
- Emotional or spiritual functions: Spiritual search for meaning, issues of karma and grace, spiritual awakening, divine discontent
- Linked to: God/goddess, the creator, search for purpose and meaning in life, discovering ethics, unconditional love, symbolic vision, ultimate liberation
- Affirmations: Thy will be done. Love surrounds, nourishes and protects me.
- Asanas: Head stand, meditation
- Gifts connected to the crown chakra: These gifts are of the spirit. They come in the form of angels in disguise and simple acts of kindness. They can be embodied in moments of seeing the "truth."
- Level of relationship: Our relationship to our life’s true purpose, relationship between the ego and the higher self, relationship to god and spirit. Also connected to emotional and spiritual issues with regard to service to others. Humanitarian activities.
- Identification of weak crown chakra: the ‘long dark night of the soul’, feeling
- disconnected from God, meaning or purpose, migraines, chronic exhaustion, sensitivity to light and sound, greed and dominance.
- Negative thinking traits: There is no point in life. Why should I, I’m going to die anyway and none of this matters. Who cares, we’re just food for worms. I don’t see the point in any of it. There’s no hope.
- Questions to help chakra consciousness:
- ‘Who am I?’
- ‘What do I believe about the universe?