TIME OUT OR TIME IN FOR YOGA - GUEST BLOGGER
SEPTEMBER 24, 2009: Okay, so it’s Monday morning. You’ve made your “to do” list for the week and you’re ready to go. Work, errands, and family responsibilities all listed on a nice piece of paper. It’s easy to get in that quick yoga practice to get the week off right. Tuesday is here and you’re feeling good about what you got done on Monday, so you get the full routine going. Maybe yoga fits in. Wednesday comes and you know you need to get over the hump day, so you’re sure to get in that practice to make the day productive. Thursday starts out and you realize – “OH NO! I have so much to do before the weekend. I can’t possibly fit in yoga today!”
Does this sound familiar? Does the week get started with the best intentions, then by Thursday you’re so overwhelmed that you forget or neglect to get your yoga in? Here are some reasons to schedule in that practice on Thursday mornings
- Yoga reduces stress – being overwhelmed by your “to do” list creates stress in the body and mind. Yoga controls the breath and clears the mind of cluttered thoughts.
- Yoga wards off illness – reducing stress will keep you healthy. Research shows that yoga boosts the immune system.
- Yoga improves concentration – when you can focus, you can get more of that “to do” list done.
- Yoga keeps you feeling young – BKS Iyengar did 108 back bends on his 80th birthday! Maybe growing old is just in our restless minds???
- Yoga improves energy levels and productivity – yoga replenishes the mind and body with precious energy needed to respond to daily tasks and challenges.
You can’t beat those reasons for scheduling in your practice.
This Thursday, we’ll explore how setting your intention at the beginning of practice and specifically in certain poses can bring awareness to the body and spirit. We’ll practice poses that invoke certain emotions, giving us an opportunity to explore. We’ll affirm our inner spirit and listen to our hearts throughout our practice. Then, we’ll take these great feelings with us as we step off of the mat and move into the business of the day.
Join me – Thursdays 9:15 am Level 1/2 – or – if you’d like a gentler class, come to Silvia’s 10:45 Basics class.
Don’t take TIME OUT of your day for yoga, add TIME IN to your day by increasing your productivity and focus by attending yoga class.
Wishing you Peace, Prosperity, and Productivity, Mary